Recent media coverage of ACT UP
This is just a sampling of recent press coverage!
If you know of others, email us.
WTF (Where's the Funding?) - June 30, 2011
March from City Hall to Obama's Fundraiser at the Bellevue, demanding that Nutter and Obama end AIDS by funding housing and treatment
- AP via Washington Post - "Once inside, Obama was interrupted by at least two activists holding up paper signs calling for more AIDs drugs for victims of the disease. “Obama: AIDs drugs 4 6 million people worldwide. WeCanEndAIDS.org.” Obama watched impassively as other supporters drowned the activists out and snatched the signs from their hands. Obama has encountered AIDs protesters before, including a fundraiser in Miami earlier this month."
- CNN - "But the crowd wasn't entirely supportive. At one point, the president was interrupted by a small gathering of protesters, critical of the president over the issue of AIDS."
- ABC News - "His speech was punctuated twice by hecklers, including some AIDS activists who have now made it a practice to interrupt Obama’s campaign events."
- Philly Inquirer
- Philly Inquirer Photos (flip to photos 11 and 29)
- Metro Philly
- Politics PA - "The event was interrupted briefly by a handful of demonstrators from ACT UP Philadelphia, a group dedicated to fighting AIDS. “President Obama! We love you! But please keep your promise to spend $15 billion fighting AIDS,” one man yelled."
- Philly City Paper - "AIDS activists ACT UP Philly will be rallying against Obama, who is coming to Philly to fundraise, due to anticipated cuts in HIV/AIDS funding. (The group will also be protesting against Mayor Michael Nutter — who is expected to join Obama at a fundraiser at the Hyatt at the Bellevue — to demand funding for housing for people with AIDS.)"
Disrupting Mayor Nutter's budget speech - March 3, 2011
ACT UP disrupted because the Mayor's budget once again failed to include funding to end the AIDS housing crisis
- Philly Weekly - Nutter proposes budget
- Daily News - Photo
- Philly Clout live-blog - See timestamp 11:12
- Philebrity - ACT UP back in Nutter's business
- Inquirer - Video of Mayor's speech (disruption is about 2 minutes in)
- NBC10 - No new taxes in Philadelphia budget proposal
- ABC News video
Time's Up, Nutter! - February 24, 2011
Action at City Hall one week before 2012 budget is released
- KYW/CBS3 - Philadelphia activists demand public housing for those with AIDS
- City Paper - Curious about ACT UP's protests? They're having one right now
The Warriors - February 10, 2011
City Paper Cover Story on ACT UP
- City Paper - The Warriors: How the decades-long fight against AIDS made radicals out of activists
Caroling at the Mayor's House - December 22, 2010
"...then one foggy Christmas week, ACT UP came to say / Nutter in your home so bright, won't you fund AIDS housing tonight"
- Philebrity - And now, ACT UP's very special holiday gift for Mayor Nutter
Inky Opinion Piece on Housing - December 12, 2010
Op-ed by Dr. Amy Nunn and Penn Professor Philippe Bourgois
- Philadelphia Inquirer - Too long to wait for housing: Philadelphia needs to help those with HIV/AIDS (link no longer works)
Die-in outside City Hall - November 10, 2010
Nutter met with ACT UP and refused funding for AIDS housing, so ACT UP marched to City Hall to show him people with AIDS are dying for homes
- Philadelphia Tribune - AIDS patients need better housing options
- CBS3 - Group demands funding for homeless with AIDS
- Philadelphia Daily News - Activists demonstrate the need for better shelter for AIDS homeless
- Metro Philly - AIDS supporters demand action
- Philadelphia Gay News - Activists call on city to cut AIDS housing waiting list
People with AIDS are dying for homes - June 30, 2010
ACT UP releases report on housing crisis among people with HIV, demands city action to end the AIDS housing waiting list